Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I am an Elitist


Whitley Gilbert, the elitist 'it girl' from A Different World



Is 'elitist' a bad word, or a bad thing to be? At times (often linked to arrogance), maybe, but I don't think it's a horrible characteristic to have. All this week, on tube and the internets was stuff about Obama being elitist and too high on his mountain. But personally, I want him that way.

The term elite goes into elitism: Elitism is the belief or attitude that those individuals who are considered members of the elite — a select group of people with outstanding personal abilities, intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes — are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight; whose views and/or actions are most likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern.

If someone going to lead us and make major decisions for the country, I want them to be the best at doing it. I don't want Billy Bob standing up for me, I want a person with qualities and skills to represent me. I can make myself look bad, I don't need an idiot to continue the fall out party.

Over the years, I have been called an elitist simply because I don't follow the black male stereotype and abhor negative conceptions of our culture. And to be honest, I accept it wholeheartedly. I shouldn't be boxed in or defined by select images of pop culture madness. I should think outside of the box and challenge the status quo. I shouldn't accept fate, I have to define my destiny at all cost. And I should want to be smarter, trusted, and highly-skilled.

It's very interesting how people are afraid of so-called elitists. It's also very sad. Maybe it's 'elitist' to think that everyone has to be gun-toting and shot-guzzling folks in order to lead. But if that was true, would people really follow through with that? Example, if Jesus wasn't the son of God or didn't have super powers, would people really look up to him? And if Billy Bob had no skills as a lawyer, but wanted to represent you in court, would you let him? Okay, I know those examples were far fetched, but I think the answers would be no. I like to think at least 97% would say no.

However, my thing is elitists are needed. We trust them, we hire them, and we elected them. There's nothing wrong with being smart and self-assured. But there is something wrong with being ignorance by choice and resistant to change.

Maybe I should make this a T-shirt for Obama's campaign

1 comment:

Christopher said...

We have too much in common! I'm getting nervous!

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.