Friday, May 23, 2008

How to be a Gay Icon: step one: Get outed!





I've noticed that gay celebs are coming out. And I also noticed that some of them are forced out by some blogger, arrest, or news group. So I wonder, would these guys came out if they wasn't forced to do so? Maybe...in a few years? However once they are out here, they got a story to tell and sometimes for a profit.

Or they ended up on the cover of the Advocate.

I'm not sure what to really think about this. Sometimes I'm cool with it and other times I'm not. We should support them, they are our people. But at the same time, if they remained closeted would they still speak out for us?

3 comments:

Queers United said...

you may find this interesting
http://queersunited.blogspot.com/2008/05/open-forum-outing-as-activist-tactic.html

Queers United said...

Outing as an Activist Tactic?

EMikeGarcia said...

Well, I believe that every one of our gay brothers deserves our support, whether they come out on their own or were outed by someone else...

What I disagree with, however, are these insipid stories about their "courage" or "struggle"... It's bullshit and it's insulting to us "everyman" homos who are living our lives with dignity and courage and, best of all, honesty.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.