Saturday, July 26, 2008

Randomness on CNN's Black in America



I watched this special last week with no expectations. I thought I knew the issues, but I was wrong. The issues are worse than I thought and the job isn't close to being done. The issues of Black women and men are at times, one in the same, or a part of each others' dilemmas.

We are in crisis and it seems it's not changing. Black men are trying to be men through foolish images and Black women are left with a few options, let alone opportunities. One of their biggest and fast paying gig is a video vixen, and that comes with sexism and mess.

And the statistics are the ones that hurt.
  • 45 percent of black women in America have never been married, compared with 23 percent of white women, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's American Community Survey in 2006.
  • Black women outnumber black men almost 2-to-1 in higher education. But white women are also surpassing white men in college enrollment and completion, according to the National Center on Education Statistics.
  • There is more Black Men in jail than in college.
  • Many Black kids drop out of school
And the list continues. I know things will change, I have to be patient. But we have to change ourselves if we want to move past this madness. I applaud CNN for this special, maybe with the issues out in open we can move forward. Also it would be nice to see more of this stuff on Hispanics, Asians, Gays, and Fanboys

No comments:

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.