Friday, August 15, 2008

By the Honor of GAYskull


Due to MANHUNT's co-owner/founder, Jonathan Crutchley donating to McCain's campaign, the board of MANHUNT (I find it a little funny they have a board) has pressured Crutchley to get out!

The other half of the MANHUNT empire, Larry Basile, confirmed it with this letter provided by Towleroad.

"There has been a depiction this week of MANHUNT being Republican. All my life, I have never voted to the right, and have always been generous to 20th Century Democrats, Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders, HRC, and the NGLTF.

"I was arrested at the Supreme Court and FDA in Act-Up actions, and was the founder of the Grass Roots Gay Rights Fund, which over the years has raised more than $800K. I was the Treasurer of Out Week magazine, which was a powerful force in its time. I began giving Obama donations in March 2007, and I have sent several checks that have yet to be reported. The hat and t-shirt I wear say 'Obama for President', as does the sign in front of my house. I refuse to live in a country that is so marred by war and hate. To me, Barak (sic) is by far the best candidate, probably better than we deserve.

"It should be known that Jonathan Crutchley's donation to McCain left the entire Board in disbelief. I am disappointed that we have lost some customers, and I understand the anger. It is too bad for the web site if we lose customers, but PLEASE never refer to me as a Republican. I consider it an offense.

"Earlier today, at the request of the Board, Jonathan has stepped down as Chairman. Sincerely, Larry Basile."

Well, I guess justice was served, in some sense. However, this was a wake up call for me. I'm learning that we need to be wise about our "community" and the possible wolves in gay clothing.

6 comments:

Queers United said...

i have been considering waging a gay boycott of manhunt, likely wont work though

Wonder Man said...

Maybe, but it could raise awareness about our priorites. I think it's kind of sad that a person's worth is reduced to a cock pic.

Joie Mayfield said...

I couldn't agree more, Wonder Man. If someone doesn't like me for who I am, only what my member looks like, then truly, the relationship will never work. QU, I think a boycott could work, I think enough gay folks were hurt or outraged by this. I'm glad they asked for his resignation.

It's true. We put a lot of trust in "gay officials." They could just be after the dollar, not our best interests. It's a wake-up call.

Great post.

Allan S. said...

Wow, they turned that queen out with the only quickness. Hmmm, maybe she can get a job campaigning for McCain. Oh wait. Homos need not apply.

Wonder Man said...

I agree on that, Allan.

libhom said...

Queers United: There already is an informal boycott of Manhunt.net. I canceled my profile, and paid subscribers leaving are what pushed that homophobic bigot Jonathon Crutchley off of the board.

Of course, Crutchley still is an owner of Manhunt.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.