Wednesday, August 20, 2008

'Daddies' actually means something else is our community


As times change and society's slowly opening up, more gay men are coming out and finally settling down. The clubs and nightlife are giving in to commitment ceremonies and house hunting. But what's changing the tide?

The ability to marry, maybe?

More gay men are seeing the possibilities more than before. We can marry in Cali-Cal and Mass, out-of-state folks are being recognized, and same sex benefits are increasing. It's like there's hope and future for our well being. Gail Taylor, who's president and founder of Growing Generations said,

"For future generations, knowing they can fall in love, get married, have a child -- absolutely, that will become a way of life more than it is."

And that leads into our men becoming fathers.

Having a family is no longer a myth, it can be done. Gay men can plan for future that may not been ideal years ago. Sure, we could do this without getting married or civil unions, but I think the changes have revived our spirit and self-esteem. We are seeing that love is possible, a real life is possible. Being a father for some gay men is the ultimate "Ha-Ha" to people who didn't believe that we could do this. It's also reality to us as well.


In my life, I have seen the evolution of our people from Lamar on The Revenge of the Nerds, to Pedro Zamora on the 2nd Real World, to seeing Ellen come out and get married. We have come a long way and hopefully there's more for us as we move gaily forward.

3 comments:

JACK said...

I totally love this post. My online persona aside, I really do maintain that love is on the horizon for me. I know it is.

I was married and am now divorced and have two beautiful children (my daughter just started first grade!) who teach me every day how much I just LOVE being a father. In fact, I was made to be a daddy. And I know that I know that I know that one day, Mr. Right will prove to be a good step daddy.

Well written - thanks.

Wonder Man said...

Thank you, Jack. I believe that the opinions are wide open. I think our fears and insecurities kept us from having love or giving love to others. Hopefully, we can break out of the stereotypical male roles and make something really happen.

Queers United said...

haha i love the post title, and im also really happy to see more gay couples having families.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.