Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Forgotten Ones


In our lavish, boy-toy ridden world we forget about another LGBT community: the homeless youths. 40% of all the homeless youth in the US are LGBT.

When they are thrown out, they are forced to figure out their next steps without any proper guidance. If they find a shelter to stay in, they are gay bashed or ridiculed. So they are damned all away around. I didn't realized that this was a growing issue, but more of our LGBT youth are on the streets doing whatever, whenever to survive. It breaks my heart to know this.

So I will look for ways to assist our homeless youths in L.A. I believe that these kids need people to provide them with some sense of hope. I feel that they have seen the dark side of things for too long. If we could do something to spark a sense of hope in them, I'm game.

I can't imagine being in their shoes. I can't imagine losing everything when you have nothing more to lose. It's very troubling to know that some of our younger generation is struggling with their sexuality as well as where they're going to sleep. I wish I had a place like Haven House (JEM reference). If I win the lottery, I will build a place for our kids.

For more on this issue, go here

No comments:

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.