Friday, June 26, 2009

Other LGBT issues we should push first, before DOMA and DADT


I just realized something. How and when did DOMA and DADT become the main gay issues?
I was trying to figure it out and I don't remember seeing the heighten build up.

However, my point of this piece is to ask...Are they the ones we push first?

I hope that's not an evil thing to say, but I think there are other issues we should fight for just as much.
  • Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Prevention Act
  • ENDA or Employment Non-Discrimination Act including protections for our Trans-family
  • Healthcare-mostly HIV and AIDS research and treatment (this truly affects our community)
  • Military Readiness Enhancement Act-a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.
DOMA and DADT are important, but these I feel these matters are more overarching and inclusive of all of the LGBT community. Maybe these issues should be handle first because they protect every one of us. I want DOMA and DADT to be handled, but I'm not so sure they should be the top priority.

I would love hear your thoughts on this...Am I way off here?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, the DOMA and DADT are considered the 'easy' fights by the big gay rights proponent organizations like HRC and the like.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.