Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Interesting Quote: Roy Ashburn


I should begin with an apology. I am sincerely sorry for the votes I cast and the actions I took that harmed lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. Just as important to me, I am sorry for not stepping forward and speaking up as an elected official on behalf of equal treatment for all people. For nearly 26 years, the voters in my area of California trusted me as their elected representative. I look back now knowing there is so much more I could have done to inform the public about LGBT people and to fight for equal rights under the law. Regrettably and selfishly, I took another path in my life and political career—I chose to conceal who I truly am and to then actually vote against the best interests of people like me. All this was done because I was afraid–terrified, really–that somehow I would be revealed as gay.

My past actions harmed gay people. In fact, all people are harmed when there is unequal treatment of anyone under the constitution and laws of our country. I do not believe in discrimination, and yet my votes advanced unequal of treatment of gay people and promoted the suspicion and fear that limits people from being forthright and accepted in society.


source

3 comments:

Bob said...

I think Roy Ashburn should stop apologizing.
This, by my count, and I may be off, is his third apology for not living life as an openly gay man, and for voting anti-gay while doing so. He doesn't owe us any more apologies.
The first one should have sufficed.

Unknown said...

Should people accept his apology? Should he be ostracized and villified?
And what helps us going forward?

Glenn Ingersoll said...

I think his apologies are good for his healing. He spent a career hurting others -- and himself.

I think his apologies are good for the gay community. Good God, we're due!

I think his apologies are good for his constituents. It's time they heard this.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.