Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Another Lesson Storm Taught Me

In Uncanny X-Men 214, Storm was attacked by the psychic Marauder, Malice. Here is the page:
I remember thinking about the last panel as a teen. At the time, I was too young to understand that statement; embracing your 'darker nature'. But as the years followed, I got it! I learned that I needed to confront my fears, demons and doubts head on.

And child, let me tell you, it wasn't easy. When you look at what holds you back, what lies to you and what keeps you down; it can be truly daunting. You are dealing with a lot of issues that comes from many places in your life. But once I start working through my mess, I felt myself move forward. I knew what I had to do to get myself in order. And that's the funny thing, when you know what you need to do, life get so much clearer. However, that's when the real work begins.

Embracing those pieces of yourself is liberating, because you see the issue and the layers that comes with that issue. Then when you start tearing through layers, you learn so much about yourself. Good or bad, I believe you come aware of who you really are. I find the process to educational and rewarding.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have this comic.

Alan Scott said...

Isn't this during the period Storm lost her powers? Makes her inner battle even more impressive. :)

WilsonW said...

Wow. Is it just me or have they forgotten this Storm? Where is she? The Storm the writers write these days is so surface it's not even funny. Give us back out strong woman. I'm interested to see how and how long she joins the Avengers. (Though I kinda would rather have Monica Rambeau back kickin butt.)

But Bravo to what you said Vik. I forget those life lessons myself. Have to always keep those things in my mind and heart. True growth buds from those flowers.

Wonder Man said...

Wilson, I feel you. I need that Storm. The Ororo I grew up with, was the one that made me think about my life and purpose. The writing was powerful back then.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.