Sunday, February 26, 2012

In Texas: Gay Judge Refuses to Perform Marriage Ceremonies until All can Marry


*Since the clip keeps changing, I changed the original post

Texas Judge Tonya Parker is making a lot firsts. Not only is she the first Black lesbian to serve as judge in Texas, but she will not perform any marriage ceremonies until there is equality for all.
"I don't perform marriage ceremonies because we are in a state that does not have marriage equality and until it does, I'm not going to partially apply the law to one group of people that doesn't apply to another group of people," Parker said in a video of the Tuesday discussion. "And it's kind of oxymoronic for me to perform ceremonies that can't be performed for me, so I'm not going to do it."


A spokeswoman for the Texas State Commission on Judicial Conduct said the commission had no comment.
This is an interesting stance to take. What do you think?

source

4 comments:

Bob said...

Just like the clerks in New York who quit, or complained, about, issuing same-sex marriage licenses, this judge is not doing the job to which she was hired/appointed/elected.
However, it is a nice statement.

Jamie Paisley said...

What an idiot. Judges, by definition, should be impartial. By accepting his position in checks and balances, he shouldn't be able to do that.
Speaking out in favor of marriage equality is fine, but limiting that freedom in others is so counterproductive that I can hardly stand it.

Prince Todd said...

This is the wrong link...But this was still a great video though!

Anonymous said...

To me people who put off marrying just have COLDFEET. I would not let live stop just because some one else can't get married. Time waits for no one. Just sayin.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.