Saturday, May 24, 2014

Trans Woman of Color set to preform at Carnegie Hall


Tona Brown is making history.

She will be the first Trans woman of color (Black woman) to perform at Carnegie Hall. The vocalist and violinist will perform during LGBT Pride in New York.

In an interview with HuffPo. Tona said:
"I have dreamed of performing at Carnegie Hall since I was 14 years old, when I was attending the Governor's School for the Arts in Norfolk, Virginia. It was there at the Governor's School, that I realized that if I practiced, and studied with the best, one day I could perform at Carnegie Hall.
And...
My first reaction to the news that our proposal was approved by Carnegie Hall was amazement. I couldn't believe that we got a yes! I started tearing up while telling my friends, because I thought of all the great artists who have crossed that stage. Many of them had enormous obstacles to overcome, like I do as a transgender person of color in America."
Tona's performance will feature music from her debut album "This Is Who I Am," a tribute to Black composers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is she a transgender "woman of color"? Why can't she be a black transgender woman. Or an African-American transgender woman since that is apparently what she is (I read the Huffington Post article about her).

Is it "uncool" these days to refer to a black (or African-American) person as black (or African-American) these days? These are serious questions.

R.J. said...

This is wonderful news. I hope she knocks 'em dead!

Wonder Man said...

To answer the question, yes she is Black.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.