Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Never Forget: The First line of Ethnic Action Figures... Sun-Man and the Sun People




I have to share this geeky info with y'all. It truly takes me back.

Back in the mid-80s there was line of Ethnic Action Figures led by the hero, Sun-Man. Sun-Man was like He-Man. He was a great warrior and powerful due to his Black skin. His description reads:
“The Legend of Sun-Man continues… His magical melanin skin gave him unequaled, unlimited, and special super strength. Sun-Man’s skin could not be cut, burned, bruised, broken, pierced, stabbed, ripped, or removed so Pig-Head the evil wart, was plotting to smoke-out Sun-Man. He wanted to see if he could weaken Sun-Man’s powerful skin through the smoke from the drugs Pig-Head had just cooked up. But Sun-Man flies free, protecting the right for the Galaxy-Trefixa to exist in peace. His rap is clear: “Pig-Head listen, you’re bad luck. You won’t win, so just give up. Sun-Man is on the scene to stay. My good powers shall rule all the way! The Battle has just begun…””
Sun-Man was created by Yla Eason in the mid-80s. She came up with this idea because her 3 year-old son didn't have any superheroes that looked like him. In fact, there were barely any Black heroes at all. Yla wanted these heroes to give some hope that Black people can be heroes too. So, the first line of Sun-Man came out in 1985.

Later in 1986, more action figures of color were released. We had Holographo, Space Sumo (Asian), Digitino (Latino) and Bolt Man (Native American). We also saw the first line of Black Super heroines for young girls. They were Butterfly Woman, Felina and Amandla.

The line was re-released in 1989 with new characters, they never saw the light of day. Then in 1990, a special edition of Sun-Man was released, very limited.


I always wanted these action figures. I thought it would've been a great edition to my Masters of the Universe toys. But they wasn't available in Wal-Mart or Gibsons (hometown store). You had to order them from Ebony magazine. I remember keeping the ad in my Trapper Keeper, hoping to get these toys for Christmas. But my Mama accidentally threw the form away. I was so hurt, because that was the only way I could get Sun-Man and his friends.

I got over it, but I always hope to see these toys again. Sun-Man was a great idea then and I believe, a great idea now.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.